8.15.2008

Tara

With a Women’s Studies degree from the University of Regina already under her belt, Tara Hubich picked up an education degree from U.B.C and then moved back home to Regina. Since her return this past fall she has been teaching with the Regina Public School Board and facilitating an after school program with the Al Ritchie Community Association. Since it is currently the “off season” for the teachers, she has been spending her days finger painting with a group of five to seven year olds during the day, and twiddling her thumbs in the evening trying to pass time till she heads to Korea and Japan for an early fall vacation.

I heard you talking about a “t-shirt” contest. What is that about?

One day at work a co-worker and I noticed we were both wearing cool shirts, so we decided to start a contest to see who could wear the best shirt. But this week is my last week there, so it will only be a contest that ran two weeks. Not a very long contest. But tonight I am wearing a shirt with milk and cookies on it. Milk is high-fiving cookies and it says “Team Work” on it.

Since you are young teacher, how do you find the styles differ from when you were young student?

It is definitely more casual. I think teachers used to be a lot more conservative. And I think this change reflects the attitude in the schools. There is a lot more freedom. But when I sub in high schools, I wear more professional clothing because the level of respect I receive is usually reflected in the way I appear. Especially since I do look younger.

You recently moved back from Nelson, B.C. How did you find the Nelson compared to Regina?

In Nelson, people didn’t care much about dressing up. In the bars, you would never see girls in heels. They wear flip flops, jeans and t-shirts when they go out. People don’t go out trying to impress one another, and they usually end up looking really good because they are happy and not competing with anyone.

You have your Women’s Studies degree as well. Do you think feminism has changed style for women at all?

I think that there is so much sex in society that it unfortunately overrules any sort of feminist dialogue about fashion. But the kind of feminism that I feel I understand, says that women can be comfortable about what they are wearing. It is ok to look sexy, but there needs to be a balance. I think a person who has integrity and is trying to be a good person; it shows through as their style. And that is style that I think is sexy.

Interview and photography by Carey Shaw for Prairie Dog



No comments: