9.16.2008

Sara

Born and raised in Regina, Sara moved to Calgary eight years ago. In Calgary she worked with children with special needs and with trauma in women's shelters. Although she loved working with children, she decided to make a career change that brought her and her then, soon to be husband, back to Regina. This past spring she opened Stella and Sway Boutique, and brought a new kind of style to the working class women of Regina. A self proclaimed jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, she loves to dress people up, and now does it full time at her boutique. Although a complete change from what she used to do, she loves it and wouldn't change it for the world.

How did it happen? Working with kids in Calgary, to opening up your own boutique in Regina?

I had always been interested in owning my own business. I was going to purchase a children's clothing shop in Calgary, but I always wanted to be able to create it from the beginning to the end. I wanted it to all be my own creation. And when you work with kids you are always working with so many other people, like parents, therapists and doctors. And even though I had never worked in retail before, it wasn't scary for me, because I knew I could interact well with other people.

What do you think of Regina's market for shops and boutiques?

We have a lot to offer in this city. We have the mixture of contemporary to streetwear. Regina does have a really good mix, and we are really stylish here. We have a lot of influences, which is cool. And it is getting even better now, because there are so many more new shops opening up and offering what big cities have to offer.

If you could have any style icon walk into your store, who would it be?

I love Kate Hudson's style. She can put on jeans, boots, a wrap, and a big belt and she looks fantastic. I love Katie Holmes new sophisticated look which I think is really sexy. And whenever Jennifer Aniston does a dress, it is always really simple, which I think is great. I am a total t-shirt and jeans kind of girl, although I love helping women feel confident and beautiful in what they are wearing.

Compared to many weddings, your wedding style was quite simple.

I didn't want to go full out vintage, but I wanted a dress that was simple, because I knew something different wouldn't look right on me. My husband Ben was wearing a Burberry tie, so with my red shoes and the red and ostrich feathers in my veil, it was kind of a modern vintage look. It was like a romantic comedy of a wedding.

If you could go on any kind of shopping spree, where would you go?

Oh. New York sample sales. Los Angeles sample sales. I would look up Daily Candy, find out where all the sample sales were, and I would be off.

Interview and photography by Carey Shaw for Prairie Dog.



No comments: