1.25.2009

Winter in La Belle Province

Hi. You haven't heard from me in awhile.

Just wondering...at what point can you start dreaming about spring? Is it now soon enough to spring that you can actually start planning for its arrival (ie, can I order a sundress from J.Crew yet?).

I'm really finished with the indignities of winter. The ridiculous drapings and layerings necessary for survival, and the ways in which those drapings can ruin an outfit. The static cling. The chapped lips. The fact that I have to fold myself into a ball, hedgehog-like, while in an underheated, drafty, (but nonetheless charming) Montreal apartment...luckily this is not my apartment...heat is very efficient, and is included in the rent. My horribly unattractive (but unbelievably warm) winter coat, which makes me look like a 40 year-old mother of 3.

Winter in Montreal does, of course, have its sweetnesses as well. The other day I saw the following 3 scenes on my beloved streets:

-a man, bundled up and struggling through a snowbank while clutching a menorah
-3 people, bundled in sweaters and scarves and dancing to Stevie Wonder in a cafe (dancers included a girl who works there) near my place
-a woman pulling a sled down the street that contained the following: bagels, an Italian "panettone" (cake-like thing), and a 4 year-old child. They use a lot of sleds here. Very practical, actually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfect. Can we (me and the boys) come live with you in your drafty yet charming apartment?