2.22.2009

Sophie Littlechief-Marner

WHO: Sophie Littlechief-Marner, works with at-risk youth and as a teachers assistant. WHERE: Twin Pine Stables. CLOTHES: Black Fire Jeans, $45, Winners (2135 Prince of Wales Drive); plaid Esprit shirt, $50, The Bay. FOOTWEAR: Rocket Dog Boots, $70, bought in Victoria BC. ACCESSORIES: Silver necklace with stone, $30, The Bay; engagement ring, Victoria Jewellers ; glasses, Prada. HAIR: Paulette at Scissors & Razor Hair Studio

A stunning and beautiful mix of Cree, Assiniboine and black, 32 year old Sophie has a pretty great life with two young children, a new fiancĂ© and a beautiful pony. All of whom she would quickly describe as “deadly and awesome”. Anxious to finish up her maternity leave, Sophie is looking forward to getting back to work and her upcoming summer wedding.

How did you get involved with ponies? When I was twelve my parents took me to the Royal Red Horse Show. I watched it and thought is was cool. I went walking though the barns afterwards, and started talking to a woman who was riding. She asked me if I was riding, I said no, and she said I should start and never give up. And I was like, “OK!” And then I joined the Pony Club in White City.

Tell me about Tara. Tara is my third pony. She is five. A warm blood cross and a jumper. She is sweet, and she is in love with me. She totally mellows me out. It is a very expensive sport and a huge responsibility. But this is my sanity.

Do you want your children to become involved with horses and ponies? Yes. My daughter is totally into it now. She is going to start in the spring. If I go out to the barn and then come home and give her a hug, she can smell it on me and will say “Mom, you went to see the ponies didn't you!”.

Do you ever bring the youth you work with out to the stables? That is my dream. I need an acreage and horses and I want to be a therapeutic riding instructor for at risk youth. I did a bit on White Bear, and it was awesome. It might not happen until I am sixty, but that is my absolute dream. To have a job like that, and be around horses 24/7, I would be in heaven.

If you had to describe you kids in one word, what would you say? I can't for the little dude. His nickname is Mr. Happy Fun Guy. I am going to make sure I screen all of his girlfriends. And Meika is pretty funny. She is really creative, smart and intodetails. She will probably be a CSI or something like that. Paz (her fiancé) and I want both of our kids to be nerds. So hopefully she will just be really into horses!

Interview and photography by Carey Shaw for prairie dog.



No comments: